Our story started in 1902, in the heart of the prestigious vineyards of Saint-Emilion and more specifically on the site of a 18th century monastery of Bordeaux, former property of Chateau de Figeac!
Monsieur René Bouchart, decorated with the awards of “Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur” and working in the brewery and malthouse industry, built the Château Grand Barrail Lamarzelle Figeac for his future wife, Madame Marie Godeau.
The drawings of Château Grand Barrail Lamarzelle Figeac were inspired by his property in Saint-Amand-les-Eaux, in the north of France, located close to the French-Belgian malthouse factories founded by Monsieur Bouchart himself.
The architecte Louis-Marie Cordonnier was chosen to supervise the construction works. Monsieur Cordonnier was well-known for drawing the plans of the Palais de la Paix in La Haye, the Théâtre Opéra in Lille and for his collaboration to the reconstruction of the Basilica of Saint-Thérèse de Lisieux.
Monsieur Bouchart had one demand only. One room in the Château had to remind of his business trips to Tunisia that he loved so much. Thus, the Mauresque room, one of the current dining rooms of our restaurant, was decorated in a Rococo style from the beginning of the 20th century. Its stained-glass windows and its décor were designed by Messieurs Chauffrey, interior designers of private houses in Bordeaux.